18 Dec It’s Been Quite a Year!
It’s been quite a year!
Thanks to your support, we have accomplished more than ever. And I’d like to share every last bit of it with you… as well as our plans for 2019.
We have so much to be thankful for this holiday season …. So please settle down for a one way conversation and briefing… A long update yes, but all good news and lots of it!
We opened two projects this year and a third is under construction:
- In New Brunswick, a 12 unit apartment residence for formerly homeless individuals and families. The project is on Zebra Way – near New Brunswick’s High School and for trivia buffs, the high school’s mascot is the Zebra – the only school in the country with that mascot.
- In Montvale, a 10 unit affordable senior apartment complex. The project is located in a renovated former elementary school and town library at 11 East Grand Avenue. And next to the school we’ve received a Certificate of Occupancy (CO) for a newly constructed 4 bedroom group home we expect to have occupied by the end of the year.
- We are under construction in Wyckoff at the corner of Clinton and Morse Streets with new housing model for us – a four-bedroom group home and two independent living apartments in one structure. We expect completion in the spring of 2019. We’re hoping to replicate that model in Fair Lawn on Campbell Road and will be presenting it to the planning board there in December.
And 2019 is going to be really productive….
- In Fair Lawn, we begin construction of an 85 unit affordable senior housing project. It’s located at the corner of Maple Avenue and River Road. A lot of back and forth with our Low Income Housing Tax Credit (LIHTC) funding but we’re finally ready to start. This project is being done with our partner PenWal Corporation, a Bergen County based not for profit affordable housing developer.
- In Harrington Park, we will present a project to the planning board to build a 4 bedroom group home, 4 affordable apartments, and 9 market rate rental town homes at the corner of Schraalenburg and Elm where there is closed gas station and an empty multifamily apartment. The project is similar to the Fort Lee project we completed last year.
- In Glen Rock, we have secured permits to begin construction of a four bedroom group home on Bradford Avenue. The Reed Academy is our partner in that project as they expand their services to include residential services for adults with autism. We expect completion in late summer of 2019.
- In Mahwah, we have secured permits to build 13 affordable senior apartments, phase 2 of our project that includes a group home and 4 independent living apartments opened in 2017 on Ramapo Valley Road.
- In Bernardsville, we will start renovation of a 4 bedroom group home in partnership with the Midland School and the Conti Group.
- In Florham Park, we will begin construction of 64 units of supportive housing and one four bedroom group home on Park Avenue as part of the Green at Florham Park (location of the Jets HQ and practice facility for Gang Green fans). This project is being done in partnership with the Rockefeller Group, Pulte Homes and the Borough of Florham Park.
- In Fort Lee, we will build a 5 bedroom group home on a property at 620 Church Lane in early 2019 with completion by 2020.
- In Allendale, two 3 bedroom single family affordable homes for veterans will be completed this coming Spring — a new model for us.
- In Ridgewood, we will be renovating the second floor of the former Sealfon’s building at the corner of Maple and Ridgewood Avenue in early 2019 — a “top of the shops” home with two 4 bedroom group homes and 5 independent living apartments – another new model for us.
- In Old Tappan and Rochelle Park — we will start construction of 4 bedroom group homes next year.
Sorry for the length of this update – 2018 was really productive, and 2019 is going to be a banner year. We wanted you to share our happiness.
Please remember us with a year-end gift. All the work above… and more… requires philanthropic support. Our ability to help depends on the funds we raise.
So please be as generous as you can – we can do a great deal together.
Have a joyful holiday and thanks again for your support.